Pages

3/16/2010


And Then There Were Three...

Three generations... We are now down to three generations of females in my family due to the loss this morning of my grandma. When my first daughter, Emilee Grace, was born, we became a family of five generations of females. My great-grandmother, Grace Burke, was an amazing woman.  Both of my daughters knew her well and got to grow up getting to know their great-great-"Nana Burke". She died when she was 100 years old, and then there were four.

This morning I lost my dear grandma, so now we are three. For some reason, I don't feel very sad. I know where she is. She is sitting at the feet of Christ. No more pain, no more loss, no more sadness. She would have been 90 years old this year. She lived through the loss of her husband, mother, father, sister, brother and others. Now she is with them all. I guess they are having quite the reunion in heaven!

Wow, how fast time flies. It seems like yesterday Grandma was braiding my hair into pigtails. She was the best back scratcher ever!  She wrote poetry to God. I still have a poem she wrote for me on my 13th Birthday. She was an amazing southern cook. I can almost taste her yummy squash casserole right now. I remember going out on the boat with her and Papa and fishing off the dock at the river house. I remember the peaceful sound of the wind chimes outside of the kitchen window. I remember how Grandma always took such good care of Papa. She loved to bake pecan pies and to can jelly. She taught me how to crochet and knit and loved making hats and washcloths until the pain of arthritis kept her from doing it.  She loved listening to the police scanner and could tell you what was going on around town before it was on the news. But what I remember most, is that Grandma loved the Lord. She always read her Bible and talked about her love of Christ. She gave me my first devotional, "My Utmost For His Highest" The inscription on the inside said, "Lori, when you read this devotional everyday we will be reading it together." 

Thank you Grandma, for showing me the love of Christ and being an example of a Proverbs 31 woman. I will miss you but you will always be in my heart.

Share
|




No comments:

Post a Comment