PULLING WEEDS
This summer has been extraordinarily busy for my family, as I am sure it has been for yours as well. My oldest daughter is preparing to leave for college in August which makes it a little more hectic than usual. My summer "busyness" (you know, pool, beach, Whitewater, shopping, etc- all of those "important things") has led to a ton of neglect around my house and yard. This morning, I stepped outside on the front porch and noticed that my Geraniums and Salvia were yellowing and dry to the bone- not to mention that they were half dead. I got the hose out to water them in hopes that they can be salvaged and brought back to life. Here are a couple of pictures of the pitiful things. Now, keep in mind, a few weeks ago they were green and full of beautiful blooms:
To my surprise, as I was watering my pitiful, yellowing plants, I noticed this weed growing up the rail of my porch. It was thriving, green, creeping and ready to take over. Check these out:
It is actually kind of pretty, isn't it? I started thinking about how funny it is that the weed grows so fast and green with absolutely no tending, but my once pretty flowers are dying and withering away without my tending. It kind of reminds me of sin in my life. Sin is like the weed. It pops up fast and unexpected and can be very deceitful in the way it presents itself all "pretty and green". But beware, because no matter how pretty and green it may look, it will creep in and grow, entangling our lives. The only way to stop it is to cut it down to the root and remove it out of our life.
My relationship with Christ is symbolized by the flowers. It needs to be nurtured, fed and watered. If I go a few weeks without spending time with God, I am going to dry up and wilt. My soil will become hardened. This will allow those tenacious and sometimes beautiful looking weeds to creep into my life and take over.
God reminded me this morning that I have been neglecting Him throughout all of my summer busyness. He reminded me that if I neglect Him, sin will creep into my life and start to take over. He reminded me that I need to be spending more time with Him or I may begin to wilt, dry up and even quit blooming. The great thing about my relationship with God is that He will renew that which is thirsty and dry! Just like my flowers will be renewed with careful tending, feeding and care. Isn't it funny how God uses the simple things in life to teach us a lesson? Well, I am off to "pull weeds" both physically and spiritually! That weedy vine on my porch has got to go!
Reflection:
1. Are there any specific "weeds" in your life that need to be pulled?
2. What words best describe your soul right now? Circle all that apply
Dry Thirsty Blooming Refreshed Nurtured
Hungry Thriving Wilting Renewed Busy
3. What area of your life needs tending? Ask God to show you.
4. What steps do you need to take to assure that you will bloom where you are planted?
Prayer:
Father God, I am glad that I am your flower! Lord "reign" on me!! Pour water on my thirsty lands. Remove the sinful weeds from my life so that I will thrive and bloom for you! For in you, generations will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. Isaiah 44:4




No comments:
Post a Comment