I don't know about you, but sometimes the thought of scripture memorization can be pretty daunting. I can barely remember where I left my keys or what item I went into the grocery store to pick up! You know exactly what I mean, don't you? Well, the study I am participating in right now,James, by Beth Moore, gives each participant the opportunity to go a step further than just memorizing a verse or more a week. Beth gives each participant the opportunity to "go deeper" into the Word by memorizing the book of James! The first thing that crossed my mind was, "There is no way I can memorize the whole book of James". Then that little voice inside of me said, "Yes, yes you can...and God will help. If you can remember hundreds of songs from the 70s, 80s and 90s, you can memorize and remember the book of James"!
But how? How do I do that? The answer to that question is, 1) You do it over time, 2) You discipline yourself and 3) You abide in the Word of God! Ladies, if we abide in Christ, His Word will abide in us!
Beth gives spectacular tips in a video tutorial for memorizing the book of James. She uses the word ABIDE and turns it into an acrostic, which is listed below. I believe this can be used not just for the book of James but for single memory verses as well. (check it out here: http://vimeo.com/34810546)
Ask God for the ability.
Believe you can do it.
Increase the portion each week.
Determine a set time everyday to practice.
Enjoy it.
These tips may give you a fresh perspective and a bit of encouragement, whether you are memorizing one verse, one chapter, or more.They are very practical and valuable for help in memorization. Which one of the tips do you find most helpful?
I would also like to share the following 4 quick tips that you may have seen before but it never hurts to repeat:
1. Hear it (Hear the Word)
2. Write it (Write the Word)
3. See it (See the Word)
4. Speak it (Speak the Word)
Maybe you can find an audio Bible CD or an audio App and listen to scripture in your car. Maybe you can hang stickie notes all over you house...on mirrors, the refrigerator, the washing machine. What about putting stickies in the car? Really, wherever you spend a lot of your time would be the perfect place for a stickie note, or as I like to call them, "Love Notes From God".
Finally, the most important part of scripture memorization is the "why". Why should we memorize scripture? There is so much value in memorizing scripture. John Piper wrote the following regarding the memorization of scripture:
"The abiding of Jesus’ word in us means that his words find a home in us. They fit. They belong. The words of Jesus don’t “abide” without effect. When they take root, they produce faith and holiness. “Sanctify them in the truth,” Jesus says; “your word is truth” (John 17:17). So when his words abide in us, sanctification happens. We are transformed. Holiness, Christlikeness, happens. So, in sum, the abiding of Jesus’ words in us means that the words of Jesus take root and bear the fruit of faith and holiness". (http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/if-my-words-abide-in-you--2)
I want my faith to grow.
I want to be transformed.
I want God's Word to find a home in me.
I want the Word of God to take root and bear fruit. Fruit of faith and holiness!
What about you?
Do you have any special tips that have helped you remember God's Word? If so, please comment below. Let us know what scripture you are memorizing this week!!
Abiding in Him,



No comments:
Post a Comment