Pages

3/26/2013


Letting God Lead Your Child




The role of parenting is challenging but oh so rewarding. There is such a fine line between leading them and letting them go. What we may want for our kids as a parent may not mesh with what our kids want for themselves but most importantly, it may not mesh with what God wants to do in and through their life!  He has big plans for our kids that we just can't see! They need our guidance and direction desperately, but sometimes it is hard to know when the time has come for us to step back a bit and surrender our own expectations, ideas and dreams that we have for our kids!












My youngest daughter has been in the process of determining which college to attend in the fall. We have applied, visited, auditioned and prayed about this decision for the better part of her whole senior year. Finally, with much prayer and discussion, we were able to narrow it down to two schools.

Final decision time arrived. Wouldn't you know, her decision was different from the one her dad and I  thought she would make. Imagine that! Then, I asked her the, "Are you sure?" question, to which she replied, "Yes! I am very sure. This is where God is leading me".  Smart Girl! 





I am so glad she is going where her savior is leading her and not me! As a parent, I want nothing more than to see my child walking in Christ  and following His lead.  Mary, the mother of Jesus, knew what it was like to let go of Jesus and allow Him to follow His Father's lead. (Luke 2:41-52) Sometimes, this is easier said then done. I may tend to get in the way of the process and not realize it!  How do we step back and let God lead our kids? Well, we have to get out of His way! 





Here are a few ways that as a parent, we may get in the way of His leading:

1. Our Expectations-We need to surrender our own great expectations for our kids over to God. 

2. Our Control-We need to surrender our own control of our kids over to Godl! 

3. Our Emotions-We need to surrender our own heart and emotions of our children leaving home over to God. We have to let them go where He leads them.


I may have had a lot of "what if" questions about the decision at first, but in the end, who am I to get between my baby girl and her God? HE is doing some serious work in her heart. HE is molding, stretching, challenging, teaching, growing, loving and leading her. HE is planting her at this school for such a time as thisI was called as a parent to plant the seeds and train my daughter up. 
My job is simple, and as hard as it is, I shouldn't stand in God's way!  I have to let go of her and let God lead her!  After all, she does belong to Him! 

Train up a child in the way they should go and they will not depart from it!






No comments:

Post a Comment