The phrase, "don't let me forget" is probably one of the phrases I use more often during the day than I should be allowed! I always say to my girls, "don't let me forget to_______________" . Usually it has to do with something I need from the grocery store. Do you know what I mean? Well, if you are on the upward side of 40, maybe you do! I remember how easy it used to be to memorize things in school. I always used to have a pretty easy time remembering dates and formulas. I especially had an easy time if I put the words to music. Funny how I can remember all the words to a song from the 70s but can't remember where I put my car keys! One thing that I sometimes have trouble remembering that I shouldn't is scripture! I have tried several different methods of scripture memory including, but not limited to, Index Cards, Sticky Notes, Spiral Index Notebooks, Journals, Spiral Rings-these can go on your key chain which makes them convenient and close by (if you can remember where you put your keys, that is ;-)).
Lately, I feel like God wants me to remember Him. All of Him. Always. Period. He wants me to remember Him and remember His word. God's Word says, "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads." Deuteronomy 11:18 God wants us to fill our minds with thoughts of heaven (Colossians 3:2). But why? Why does God want us to memorize scripture? There are many, many great benefits for memorizing scripture. Through remembering scripture I can:
Glorify Him
Reflect Him
Share Him
Love Him
Serve Him
Grow in relationship with Him
Pray scripture to Him
Be cleansed through Him
Learn instruction from Him
Instruct my children in Him
Fight temptation through Him
Encourage others through Him
Shepherd a small group through Him
Make it through a crisis with Him
Remember Him
I know there are many other whys for scripture memorization. What about the "how to" of memorization? I think starting small is a good way to begin. To start, try a verse a week. Possibly pick a topic or a word and then do the following:
Remember by Writing It
Remember by Reciting It
Remember by Repeating It
Remember by Reviewing It
Remember by committing yourself to His Word
Ready, Set, Remember!! Let's get to it! Grab a cup of coffee, your Bible, a pen and some index cards and let's "Remember Him" together!! If you have any secrets to scripture memorization, comment below and let me know! I would love to know what works for you!! I can't wait to go on this journey with you!!
Psalm 119:9, 11
Memorizing God's Word enables use of the Sword of the Spirit to overcome Satan and temptations...to have it readily available for witnessing or helping others with a "word in season."

No comments:
Post a Comment